Monday, April 6, 2009

Looking Forward

Recently, I have been doing a Bible Study by Beth Moore called Believing God. Some stuff in this past week's entry really stuck out to me:


Philippians 3:12-14
::I'm not saying that I have this all together, that I have it made. But I am well on my way, reaching out for Christ, who has so wondrously reached out for me. Friends, don't get me wrong: By no means do I count myself an expert in all of this, but I've got my eye on the goal, where God is beckoning us onward—to Jesus. I'm off and running, and I'm not turning back. (MSG)

::12I don’t mean to say that I have already achieved these things or that I have already reached perfection. But I press on to possess that perfection for which Christ Jesus first possessed me. 13 No, dear brothers and sisters, I have not achieved it, but I focus on this one thing: Forgetting the past and looking forward to what lies ahead, 14 I press on to reach the end of the race and receive the heavenly prize for which God, through Christ Jesus, is calling us. (NLT)

I like these two versions. I know I am not perfect, though there are plenty of times that I like to say I am. I know there are plenty of times when I get distracted and start to worry about the things going on around me. There are plenty of things to stress and worry about, but I have to remember the present-active participle in this verse that says: I press on/I'm off and running. That doesn't mean that I just do it one day, but it's something that is a continual action. I have to continually remind myself to look forward and to focus on God.

I want the one-thing in life to be that I am forgetting the past (not letting it weigh me down, but releasing it) and pressing towards the goal/the prize/all that God has. My focus needs to be what lies ahead.

THEN in the study we go in to this verse:

Matthew 6:33
::30-33"If God gives such attention to the appearance of wildflowers—most of which are never even seen—don't you think he'll attend to you, take pride in you, do his best for you? What I'm trying to do here is to get you to relax, to not be so preoccupied with getting, so you can respond to God's giving. People who don't know God and the way he works fuss over these things, but you know both God and how he works. Steep your life in God-reality, God-initiative, God-provisions. Don't worry about missing out. You'll find all your everyday human concerns will be met. (MSG)

::Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and He will give you everything you need. (NLT)

::But more than anything else, put God's work first and do what he wants. Then the other things will be yours as well. (CEV)

So what all this means is that as we press on towards reaching the goal, as we run the race that God has set before us, as we stay in our specific lane, as we stay on course in doing God's will, as we put God's work first, as we forget the past and move forward... God will be there to meet ALL of our needs. He will be there to give us more than enough. He will be there to meet our everyday human concerns. He will be there for us in every up and down, in every situation and circumstance. He will never leave you or me hanging.

Thank You Lord that you are my God, My Father, My Provider, The God who sees me, The God of peace. Thank you for never leaving me nor forsaking me. I know with you I need not worry about anything. As long as I seek you first, I know that all my needs will be met. I know that even though the situation I may be in is trying to weigh me down, that ALL things will work together for good, because I love you and I know that I am called according to your promises. I pray all this in Jesus Name, Amen!

1 comment:

  1. yea!!! I get to be the first to comment! Great blog!!! I love your blog and was really inspired by what you wrote...That believing God study is traforming isnt it? So glad your enjoying the "PKlife"!

    ReplyDelete